Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Playing Favorites: Part 1

Tonight's post is dedicated to favorites, and you can probably guess most of mine.

Sports: Soccer and Baseball.
Since we never had a TV when I was a kid, neither Daddy nor I watched sports on TV when I was growing up. As far as I know, Daddy never played a sport although I believe he did lift weights when he was younger. I do know that he was concerned about his fitness, but I never saw him do more than calisthenics at home. Since I went to small private schools most of my life, the schools I attended never had much of a sports program. The school I graduated from did have soccer and basketball. I played soccer for several years as a fullback (defensive player in front of goalie). I felt like I could really contribute to the soccer team although I was never a star. Although I was on the basketball team one year, I never really played. I remember being put in the game one time when we were already loosing badly. I was only in for about two minutes during which time I made our score even worse. Anna, on the other hand, was an awesome basketball player - the star of our schools team her last two years.

Books: Too many to list them all! I had a lot of time to read when I was growing up because most of the time we lived so far away from any kids my age that I only had friends at school. Since we didn't regularly attend church I didn't really have any close friends at church. With no TV or radio to distract me, I had to find something to do with my time. I found that books can transport you to wonderful places and can be lots of fun.
Probably my all time favorite book is Treasure Island. I had (still have) a great copy with notes about all the nautical language in the margins. It was great and I still love it to this day. I read all the Hardy Boys books I could get ( I think I read all that were in print at the time) and then re-read them. I read all the Sugar Creek Gang books I could get. They were among my favorite birthday and Christmas gifts! I even read all the Nancy Drew books I could get. Boy, I had a major crush on Nancy Drew! I used to wish I could have been one of her neighbors so I could share in her adventures. Later, I read all the Sherlock Holmes stories ever written and then re-read them. Later I read the Chronicles of Narnia series which lead me to the Tolkien Lord of the Rings series. When I went off to Basic Training, I started reading the Thomas Covenant series. Recently, I've read through the Aubrey/Maturen (Master & Commander) series and I getting ready to start reading them through again. It also looks like I'll be reading the Thomas Covenant series again too, If I can get them on CD.
Books have been my best friends throughout life. They continue to be my favorite way to spend time alone. Can you tell I really love them! Going to the library used to be a real treat for me.

Well, that's enough for tonight. There will definitely be more to come.

schools

No comments: