Tuesday, June 21, 2005

What is 20 years worth?

** Also posted on my new, trial, typepad blog **
What would you trade 20 years of your life for?

* Most of us trade at least 12 years for a basic education.
* Some spend up to 12 more years to learn a profession.
* Others spend at least 6 years in service to our country
* It's pretty common to spend 30 years of more working to pay for a house
* At least for us Americans, we spend our whole lives working to get stuff and then working to maintain that stuff until we get new better stuff .....

Well, I've spent my last 20 years building a marriage and family. That shouldn't be as remarkable as it seems to be these days. I've spent 20 years:

* Trying to get along with someone else who sometimes has very different ideas about the world,
* Learning to put my frustration and sometimes disappointment behind me and restore our relationship,
* Learning that I'm not always right (not always ..lol),
* Learning how to show my feeling,
* Learning how to teach children about life, consequences, respect, and right behavior,
* Experiencing companionship to a level I never dreamed of,
* Finding out that love is a lot of work, a little frustration, a bit of sacrifice, and a lot of forgiveness (on both sides) mixed with moments of bliss.

I think I got a good deal; I hope you feel the same way, Renea! Sorry the guy you married 20 years ago was so clueless. Thanks for being my companion on this learning expedition!

No comments: